Tuesday, December 3, 2013

What Does Reddit Say?

I was curious about what would be the first few things to come up on Reddit about Down Syndrome because it is a good way to see what people are discussing about the topic. When I have a little more time I will post my reactions to the threads. Right away, I couldn't bring myself to click on the very first thread asking if someone should abort or not. Perhaps shamefully, I was afraid what I might find.

The first few threads to pop up under "relevance" (in order):
  1. Reddit, You're about to have your first child. You get a test done, and it says that your child will have bad down syndrome. It's still early enough to abort the pregnancy. Would you abort or not? Why?
  2. A story about how an entire island got even on two guys harassing a girl with down syndrome.
  3. I have down syndrome. AMA
  4. I don't tell anyone on reddit about my Down syndrome, because I'm afraid they'll hate me.
The first few threads to pop up under "hot" in order:
  1. TIL that more than 90% of women who learn that they are carrying a baby with Down Syndrome, will choose abortion over keeping their baby
  2. TIL that over 90% of fetuses diagnosed with Down's Syndrome in the UK are terminated.
  3. Detroit community beats alleged rapist of 15 y.o. girl with Down Syndrome after slow police response.
/r//Downsyndrome:
  1. New parents of a beautiful little boy.
  2. This is my blog about Stephanie, my little sister who has down syndrome. I made it to tackle the sigma and show people what a wonderful quality of life she has.
  3. Is it bad that I feel very uncomfortable around people with down syndrome?

No comments:

Post a Comment